Tuesday, May 8, 2012

From the sage on the stage to the guide on the side

In this post I will share with you my response to chapter 2 of prensky book Teaching Digital Natives Moving to the Partnering Pedagogy and also a few of my classmates reflections as well, hope you enjoy:-). For more on this disscusion visit  http://www.cerebrum.blogspot.com

Aocean Clarke

The change from direct instruction to partnering has often been described by educators from being “the sage on the stage to the guide on the side”. This quote describes teachers that are used to delivering instruction a certain way such as telling. Many of these teachers usually have a hard time transitioning to partnering. Teachers are known for giving their students too much information and not letting them discover the information on their own. There are multiple other ways for students to obtain information aside from teachers telling it to them. Leaving the stage means teachers no longer standing in front of the class lecturing, but beginning to work alongside the students. It means teachers guiding students to the content and not just telling them where to find it at, but allowing them to research, explore and discover information on their own.In this chapter the author also discusses focusing the partnering and learning process on the verbs. Verbs are described in this chapter as the skills we utilize in the classroom. When teachers first begin partnering it is recommended to explore the various verbs (skills) through which students can learn such as reading, problem solving, analyzing, sharing etc. In the beginning you don’t want to get attached to any nouns (tools). Verbs have been around long before digital technology and are fundamental in the learning process. Students will learn to use these verbs immediately and in the future. You start with teaching the verbs (skills) of collaboration, communication, critical thinking and creativity. Students will work with whatever nouns (technological tools) are available in the classroom. For example you would teach the skill (verb) calculating to your class but you can have your students use cell phones for calculators.I definitely believe there is a place for partnering in my philosophy of education. I think partnering is essential in today’s classroom. With the continued growth of technology partnering would be more than effective in my classroom. This technique of teaching allows students to enjoy learning. Partnering not only involves but engages students in the lesson. Students are taking an active role in their education. With partnering students feel like they are in more of leadership role,and everybody wants to be the head of the class.




Mary Owens
Sure, before I walk into my classroom, I check my teeth, make sure my outfit is put together and my make-up isn’t running. I guess I feel like I’m on stage a little. It’s more because my students are all judging me and they have no filter.

“Leaving the stage” is kind of a funny phrase. I don’t think there’s a teacher who’s ever not been on stage. It’s natural for teachers to feel like they are performing for the class. After all, the typical classroom set-up has the teacher in the front of the room with all the students sitting quietly watching. Watching does not mean learning.

I think “leaving the stage” means even more than the teacher stepping to the side. That implies that there’s still a stage. While a lot of the work in class is centered around the board (hopefully an interactive one), I don’t think the students should walk into class assuming that the lesson is going to “take place” in the front of the room. If we’re committed to partnering, our classrooms shouldn’t have a stage.

The essential “verbs” that the author discusses are the skills the students use in order to learn. They are not specific to one subject. If the students are using these skills, they must be actively participating in their learning because they are discovering rather than being told.

These concepts are definitely present in my philosophy of education. I am hoping that as I learn more, I am able to include them more often. As I posted in chapter 1, I think I need to find the courage to make more room for partnering in my classroom



Caitlin
I don't know if partnering is necessarily about "leaving the stage." I think it's more about having the students join the teacher on stage. The students have just as an important role in directing and participating in the classroom as the teacher. The students discuss how they want certain their "play" to be directed and the teacher is there guiding them and helping the students figure out how to make their "play" a successful one. In partnering everyone is teaching one another so I think everyone should have an equal part on the stage.

The essential "verbs" discussed are the skills the students will use on stage to direct their "play". The students must be active participants in their own learning and the teacher is their to promote the use of these skills. The essential verbs vary over certain topics but are there to help the students discover what "nouns" to use in order to put these verbs into action. The teacher can focus on specific verbs to a particular topic and discuss with the students ways to find the tools that promote the verbs.

Of course there is a place in my philosophy of education for these concepts. I wish for my classroom to be focused on working together to find a solution than just standing in front of the classroom lecturing. I think the students would find it to be a more enriched learning experience but being active participants



Amanda
Leaving the stage basically means relinquishing the idea that the teacher is an all knowing being that dispels information that is expected to be soaked up and memorized by the students. Times have changed drastically over the past few decades and basic row seating, boring lectures, and alienated desk work does not create an environment conducive to learning. I remember, since 6th grade, sitting and taking notes from the overhead or black board, tuning out during lectures, and then studying my notes and book before the test. Since I've been in college and my notes weren't checked like in high school, I stopped taking them. I am so bored in classes that I stare out the window, draw dinosaurs where my notes should be, and teach myself when I leave the classroom. If my students do this when I have a class, I will be mortified.. but as a student.. I just can't help it. I'm too bored. I want my students to be taught through a coaching method as the book mentions, which I first learned about through Rick Lavoie. Instruction should be tailored, motivating, and meaningful. To accomplish this, students need choice and variety, as well as engaging lessons that challenge them, reward them, and encourage them to go further.

To prevent my students from doing what I do now in the class, I will be utilizing the essential verbs as described in the book. These verbs are what the students will be doing in my (a partnering) classroom: analyzing, exploring, reflecting, problem solving, collaborating, connecting, negotiating, sharing, writing, personalizing.. to name a few. Even implementing a few in each lesson can change how a students thinks because they are active in their learning process, allowing them to think more critically. By doing things on their own and with others in a guided and structured, yet open and flexible environment, students play an important role in their own education and their peers.

No comments:

Post a Comment